With Octavia Spencer winning so many awards for portraying Minnie in The Help- conversations continue in my mind....one sided conversations that will never be. See they're with my grandmother, Virginia Dickens. She was a tiny little woman, not even 5 feet, but she was full of life. Living in Holly Hill, SC for most of her life, I wonder what she'd say about this book, this movie- these ideas, these themes. How would she feel now, in 2012, to watch a movie that portrayed her life.....would she sympathize with the help?
At the same time so many I love have adopted or are adopting cross-culturally. There is a lot of conversation as well as to how these children will grow up- will they feel divided? Will they feel cared for?
I read a book recently, The Color of Water, that tells the story of James McBride, an African American writer, one of 12 black children born to a Jewish mother. Its about his constant struggle to know where he belonged. Hard to put down, this book is a tapestry of racism and love. The threads of pain and redemption run throughout.
And now this morning I sit at my desk, mug still warm from coffee, and watch the trailer for John Piper's new book Bloodlines. My brother sent it to me...he sent it to many. I wonder if he would have sent it to Gran. Would she have watched? What would she think?
Please watch this. Its a short 20 minutes but the message is timeless. Children are made in the image of God. Racism is a systemic dysfunction that the gospel alone remedies.
Lord, redeem this world.
1 comment:
Oh Mary... This was a post for me today. God has been long preparing my heart for this. Growing up in the South even at the mention of interracial adoption we have been met with much opposition from my own mother and Aunts and Uncles. We live in a culturally diverse neighborhood and the children that my children play with daily are African Americans. Harltey also recieved a beautiful African Amercian baby doll this Christmas, Anna, I saw her at Charleston Child and physically could not leave her there. She had to come home with us. ... Thank you so much for sharing!
Post a Comment